Thursday, August 11, 2016

Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections

Because the book says so.
Look at the time, GURPS!

New Blogs!

Well, this week the blog roll introduces GURB, a blog that is currently finding its voice, but the author definitely is thoughtful. It looks like for now it is diving into Sci-Fi mechanics, which aren't my cup of tea, but maybe you, dear reader, will like it?
The other "new" blog is The Phantom's Belch. The tagline says that the blog is mostly focused on the Sci-Fi genre and mostly the GURPS system, so it's a slightly generic blog that looks to be focusing on mechanics for Sci-Fi abilities and equipment at the moment. Let's see where this goes, right friends?

All Around the Blogtower

What kinda interesting posts caught my eye this week? Let's take a look. Dungeon Fantastic posted two interesting thoughts on some of the less used skills in Dungeon Fantasy. I think it is some pretty green fields and a fun place to look for inspiration for posts, find the things that exist for some reason, and try to make them matter. Peter, of course, is a super smart guy, so he was probably using all these things in an awesome way all along though. Dice and Lives has an interesting editorial on fudging rolls. I don't know if I agree with it all the way, but I liked reading it anyway. Just Roll 3d6 has some fun graphs about the effects of reaction modifiers on reaction rolls. Some of the outcomes seem self-evident to me, but then again, I've been looking at dice probabilities pretty closely for a while, so maybe it's only by osmosis? Also, this post on a system for making an ambush point from Ravens N' Pennies is a fun read. It feels GURPSy in execution, but also pretty unique in terms of mechanics, I need to focus on it some to see if this opens the floodgates for some more new ideas.

Other Thoughts and Self Reflection

Traffic has been typical; good, but typical. Comments on the blog seem to be drying up though, but on the other hand, I'm starting to get more on Facebook and on the Steve Jackson Games official forum, so that's encouraging.
My editorial on why I like lots of rules was explosively popular. It has the most hits of all my posts this week, even though it only went up yesterday. Musta struck a chord? Maybe people were hoping for universal and total enlightenment? Too bad! You got the naive thoughts of a GURPSer that has been playing GURPS for two years! My list of abilities that let you do anything and my comparison of talents and wildcards were also modestly popular. Surprisingly, my review posts, usually the most popular, weren't that well traveled. Maybe the taglines for the reviews weren't too appealing? I think when I have a score that rates from "not that great" to "it's ok, but check this one out instead" they don't get as much traffic.Either that, or the material is just something that doesn't get people excited. Different strokes for different folks.
In real life, my game has been going through a lot of attrition. I'm down to half the amount of players I started with, but for the most part, all due to events outside anyone's control. Kinda bummed, but I think when we can get schedules to synchronize better again, I'd gladly have them back. On the other hand, the people that are left have much more flexible schedules, so in the meantime, I have moved game day to a longer and more convenient day and time, so that'll be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...