|Kinda an inspiration for the character.|
I had two ideas that I wanted to try for a while: magical alchemist, and magical shapeshifter, but as the GM has a few misgivings about the appropriateness of Ritual Path Magic for the campaign, for me this narrows it down to Shapeshifter. I don't know why, but I decided on the name Mariya Sokolova, for better or for worse. Today, I guide readers through my creative process and how I build a character.
- She wants to do something important with her life to convince herself that she deserves to be happy, and put to rest all of the nagging feelings of insufficiency
- She wants to make friends and find people that can accept her for who she is.
- Bad Temper (9) [-15]
- Guttony (6) [-10]
- Lecherousness (12) [-15]
Morph (Absorptive, No Encumbrance, +5%; Aftermath, Bad Temper(9), Gluttony(6), and Lecherousness(12), -20%; Backlash, Euphoria, -30%; Immediate Preparation Required, 10 minutes, -45%; Improvised Forms, +100%; Mana Sensitive, -10%)Wow, that was the worst part, but it is over now! To that, I'll add Animal Empathy (magic) and Speaks with Animals(Magic, -10%; Sapience, +40%)
And with that, a majority of the magic power is defined. I also want a 30 point morph pool that will help if I need to turn into an animal with IQ too low. So I got about 168/250 points tied up. That's fine. That saves me a lot for the next important bit, figuring out my skills.
SkillsIt might look like a weird thing to jump from the most expensive element of a character to the least expensive element, but for me, making sure my character has all the abilities I want and all the skills I want is the first priority, and the thing I don't want to have to compromise.
One place I look for help in determining a good set of skills is the talents list in Power-Ups 3. Talents help because they already cluster closely thematically related skills. I have in mind a picture of an intelligent animal lover woman who is also a bit of a survivalist.
Looking through the list of talents, two that cover this criteria well are Beastmaster, and Outdoorsman. I think also, for just a bit of background since I mentioned she has online friends, she is going to have the Poet talent. Maybe her friends are also fans. I could ask my GM for the alternate pricing scheme on these talents, but it'd only save me a single point, so it's a wash.
The talents altogether are 10+10+5 for 25 points. I want at least one point in every skill because I'm a silly guy like that so: 12 + 6 + 7 = 25... I'm sure a few of those overlapped a bit, but for my mental math, I'll say 25 + 25 = 50, and be happy that a bit of change shakes out in the end.
To that I'll add the following for flavor and utility:
- Brawling (4 points for that sweet sweet damage bonus)
- Area Knowledge (You gotta come from somewhere)
- Computer Operation (She likes browsing the internet)
- Savoir-Faire (Online)
- Quarterstaff (Meh, there's no good justification, but she might have it because she hikes.)
- First-Aid (also good)
- Interrogation, Climbing, Hiking, Stealth, Driving, Gesture, Observation, Scrounging, Search, Knife, Guns (Pistol), Forced Entry, Holdout, Wrestling, and Throwing.
- Appearance - Ugly, but tempered with the Pitiable advantage for a total of [-3].
- Unnatural Features - She has a "manly" voice and can easily grow facial hair due to the effects of the hormones on her endocrine system. The voice isn't weird enough for Disturbing Voice though, so I'll put it here for a total of [-2].
- Low Self Image[-10]
- Shyness (Severe, Not online though, -50%)[-5] She is very expressive in written communication, but embarrassed in face to face meetings with people.
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics
- Bad at keeping eye contact[-1] This might be hard in real life, but since it's text based, I don't think I'll have as much of a problem.
- Likes garish color schemes[-1] Because of the type of internet communities she hangs out in, she will often choose things with colors like neon green, pink, and black.
- Weeaboo [-1] She likes using little bits of Japanese here and there in her speech.
- Uses GMT time[-1] Because of her online hobbies, she has gotten into the habit of giving all times in UTC even in casual conversation.
- Suspicious of compliments [-1] Any time someone says something nice about her, she wonders if it is coming from a kind place, or if it is a setup for a mean joke.