Thursday, October 13, 2016

Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections

This might look like a really hard
campaign to run. On GURPS, it isn't.
GURPS, way more than even once.


What the h*ck is going on, am I right? It's October, the month that means 8, because it is the 10th month of the year... but not if you are counting backwards! Mind = blown? You betcher!

The Blog-About

What's interesting in the blogs this week to me? Let's see. Kinda interested in where The Literate Programmer is going with his creating worlds series. This post from Dice and Lives was pretty fun to read, but I have no useful feedback. I'm liking Mitch's pirate campaign. I think I need to figure out a way to read these long session recaps in relaxation though. I have a cheap tablet and a couch, so I'd rather be reading things like the last two laying down, instead of at my PC desk. I also really enjoyed Cole Jenkins thoughts on Signature Gear. It's an advantage I can see the value in, but I also struggle with its scalability, but this goes over some of my exact issues.

Other Thoughts and Self Reflection

Traffic wise, it has been a not bad week, and I have also received a lot of comments so people are reading. I've had some serious writer's block this week, so I've been putting up some filler posts statting out pokemon abilities. I think I'm getting a reputation as someone who is trying to create a pokemon setting, and I'd like to clarify that isn't the case: Pokemon, well, any video game has some moves that are interesting (and some that are trivial) so my train of thought is along the following lines:
  1. Making abilities based on a list of already existing concepts is easy, but helpful.
  2. Demonstrating that it's "easy" or at least "possible" to convert any given ability is a good demonstration of the flexibility of the system,
  3. Pokemon is fun and popular, so it's a somewhat accessible introduction to what GURPS can be or do for people who have ever thought of playing a tabletop RPG but are worried about playing a system that requires them to shoehorn things into mechanics that don't support their designs or assumptions.
In any case, it has been a bit of an education for me, with people helpfully pointing out things that could be done differently or better, so that's appreciated.
But yeah, it's not a "project." It's more a "I can't think of anything to write at all, but this is something people will like, and I don't need to stress my poorly taxed creativity bones in my brain."
My most popular posts are from the previous week though, so I think I've already driven this thing into the ground. The most popular post is my review of Alternate GURPS III, with everything else having significantly less hits.
In real life, it's been two weeks since I've had a session 1 for my new campaign... started putting together another game I can run easily even if one player is missing, so maybe that'll work. I'm also starting to try to put together some content for an idea I've had, so that's another direction my creative energies are being syphoned away from my blog. That is in short, my brain is split between:
  • Somewhat serious campaign
  • Totally "beer and pretzels" campaign
  • The blog
  • My job
  • And this side writing project.
At least I'm not bored!

2 comments:

  1. Just for the record, I always enjoy these weekly meta-posts. Thanks for doing them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...