Thursday, February 11, 2016

Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections

This GURPSWeek in GURPSReview. My take on the week in meta.

First let's take a look at some of the new blogs this week.

Castalia House

A Finnish publisher. The bloke is working on a smallish conversion of Dwimmermount. I'm not an expert steeped in the arcane, but I believe it is an OSR module. His son took a bit of a liking to GURPS, and so he's going through the learning process and enjoying himself. At the end of the post, Let's GURPS gets a small shout-out, yay~

Armin's GCA 5 Blog

The official GURPS Character Assistant Blog. I don't use it because I use GCS and find it suits my needs. Useful for those who prefer the more official offering though.

Northport

A somewhat system agnostic blog focusing on art and assets for games. Though the writer does make clear a preference for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. It has a mostly classical illustration style, detailed pencil art and shading. Commissions are available if that is something you like, as well as packs of stock art. 

Worlds Beyond Earth

I feel like I've already seen this blog before? In any case, I like it. The content leans a bit more Sci-Fi than what I focus on, but it does have stuff suitable to many different genres as well. Some nice javascript applets as well. I've been thinking about whether or not to try to make tools like that on this blog, but I use C# in my day job so it's a bit harder to attach a small calculator in a blog post with that than with javascript.

Other Observations

I like the Collaborative Gamer's ongoing worked example of the system worked that he worked out for world generation. I enjoy reading Designer's Notes too; a lot of Pyramid contributors are in the GURPSDay roll, so you get to see a lot of the thought processes behind what they are doing. Everything on RPG Jutsu is phenomenal. I think the author has published a few home brew systems, so I think he knows what he is doing.

Self Reflection

Finished my series on Affliction based encounters, and I'm kinda just floating about wondering what I should tackle next. I took a dig through the votes on old articles and found the only two with any votes for "more like this" is my short guide on things to do with whips, and my comparison of the melee mechanics between GURPS and a few other systems. Maybe people would appreciate more articles on how to effectively use some of the other obscure or non-conventional weapons? Maybe a few more mechanics heavy analyses or comparisons of systems? In any case, I will keep up at least a post a day until I can think of something that catches my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...